Dear friends of CSU Monterey Bay,

I have seldom been more proud than I was in January when I represented our university in Washington, D.C., at a program called the White House Convening on Civic Learning. CSU Monterey Bay was showcased as a role model for how we engage our students in the world around them and prepare them to be active, involved citizens.

That success, and its many outcomes, are the subject of the cover story in this edition of the CSUMB magazine. As always, the magazine includes stories of our university that are sources of pride for all of us – the talents and accomplishments of our students, the anticipation surrounding our new Bachelor of Nursing Program, the impressive performance of our women’s basketball team, and the generosity of our donors.

Pride is just one of the emotions I feel as I prepare to conclude my tenure as president of CSU Monterey Bay and prepare to serve as president of CSU Northridge. For six years, I have joined with you – our alumni and friends – and with our wonderful students, faculty and staff – to continue the historic development of this great university.

Together, we have collectively expanded our academic programs, both graduate and undergraduate; we have greatly improved the experience of our students, both in and out of the classroom; and we have watched our enrollment grow as constant improvement has made CSUMB a destination campus. All of this has been accomplished in spite of repeated cuts in state funding for higher education.

We have remained focused on our foremost objective: the success of our students. I am confident that with your help, CSU Monterey Bay will maintain that priority as it continues to evolve and flourish.

Sincerely,
Dianne F. Harrison, Ph.D.